ABOUT THE LIBRARY
At the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, we are dedicated to enriching the lives of the communities in Zionsville and Whitestown, Indiana. Our team is at the forefront of library services, embracing modern technologies, creating innovative amenities, and delivering personalized, up-to-date programs. We foster collaboration, knowledge-sharing, and entertainment throughout our community. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Team members are assigned a “primary library location” to provide consistency for their day-to-day work-life. There will be times that team members are asked to assist at their non-primary location or at community events. This position’s assigned primary library location is at the Whitestown Library.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this role assumes primary responsibility within the management team for the oversight of the Whitestown Location.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library is working to build our first branch location. This position will be starting during the construction process, to help connect with the Whitestown/Worth Township community, build excitement for the new branch, and act as the main point of contact with various contractors and vendors to help advance the project. This role will transition to overseeing the regular operation of the Whitestown Branch location after construction is completed.
The Branch Manager provides leadership and oversight of the development, coordination, and operation of a library branch and contributes to Library-wide planning and decision-making. This position manages the overall service plan and operation of the Whitestown Branch, which includes services and programs, patron and community relations, coordinating on-site collection development and maintenance, outreach and partnership development, and oversight of the general maintenance and security of the library building and grounds. This position exercises direct supervision over assigned staff, coordinates the work of all departments in the Whitestown Branch, and ensures the activities of the branch are in line with the goals, values, mission, and strategic plan of the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library organization.
- Contribute to library-wide planning and decision-making within the Senior Management Team.
- Collaborate with the Whitestown Branch Management Team on policies, procedures, and reports and ensure effective implementation.
- Prepare reports on projects and policy matters, coordinate committees, and assist in the library's strategic plan.
- Direct Whitestown Branch departments, overseeing daily operations, addressing complaints, and collaborating on budgets and statistics.
- Proactively engage in process improvement and long-term planning, ensuring the overall integrity of the Whitestown Branch.
- Collaborate with Whitestown Department Heads to prepare, administer, forecast, and coordinate budgets.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Supervise, evaluate, and coach staff, ensuring compliance with policies.
- Maintain a healthy work environment, coordinate department work plans, lead staff meetings, and provide mentorship and development opportunities.
- Participate in hiring, promotion, performance reviews, and discipline in coordination with Human Resources.
- Manage accurate payroll and time-off records for direct reports, plan, and lead staff meetings/trainings.
- Maintain communication with the local community, and represent the Library in civic activities and community meetings.
- Informs community leaders of library resources and services.
- Forms strategic partnerships with community organizations to enhance Library services.
- Attend professional meetings, trainings, and conferences.
- Utilize resources to remain proficient with library technologies.
- Foster a customer service-oriented culture aligned with the library's mission, vision, values, and goals.
- Fill in for public-facing staff as needed.
- Prepare grant requests and create standard operating procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES
- Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program
- Indiana Public Librarian Certification Level 2 or above (or have the capability to obtain a temporary Level 2 permit or certification within six months of hire).
- Valid Indiana Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within six months of hire
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in public libraries.
- 1-3 years of management preferred.
- Experience in community engagement and building partnerships with community organizations.
- Strong communication and project management experience.
- Physical Demands: This position requires physical demands, including reading, writing, maintaining hand-eye coordination, standing, sitting, walking, bending, crawling, climbing, pushing, pulling, and lifting items weighing 15-20 pounds.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 24 days of PTO
- 10 paid holidays & 1 floating holiday
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid parental bonding leave
- Two retirement plan options - to help you plan for your future how you want
- Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short Term & Long Term Disability